Thursday, December 25, 2014

First Impressions: German and Danish

German is going to be easier than Danish.

Even though I haven't studied German outside of about six months when I was a teenager, I've been exposed to German most of my life. My dad's side of the family is completely German, with one set of his grandparents (We called them Oma and Opa) having emigrated to the United States before World War 2. We were also big into board gaming, and every holiday one of the uncles (who was part of a gaming club) would bring a trunk full of games, some that hadn't made it to America yet and were completely in German. To this day, Settlers of Catan is "Siedlers" and has Stadts and Evichlungs instead of Cities and Development Cards. I also like listening to such bands as Ramnstein and Einsbrecher. So, while I haven't made a super serious go of studying German, enough of it has leaked into my life that it's not completely foreign.

I have no similar basis for Danish. It's on my to-learn list because the company I work for has a customer in Denmark.

So, after my first day of doing German and Danish, I've concluded: German has this reputation for being harsh and guttural, but it's got nothing on Danish. There is something about spoken Danish that makes my spine attempt to crawl away. My conclusion is that, while it sort of sounds similar to German, it's not, and my brain doesn't know how to deal with that.

But a little thing like auditory weirdness isn't about to stop me. I hope.

I'm still trying to work out the optimal schedule here. It's more difficult with multiple languages. When I was only learning French, it was easy - every moment spent language learning was spent on French. Now...Should I completely separate German and Danish into completely separate days, or is it okay to swap back and forth over the course of a day? When should I fit in French review? I don't have good answers yet.

---------------


Il va être plus facile d'apprendre allemand que le danois

J'ai étudié l'allemand seule pendant six mois quand j'étais adolescente. Mais j'ai été exposé à l'allemand durant toute ma vie. La famille de mon père est allemand, avec un couple de ses grands-parents (que nous appelons Oma et Opa) ayant émigré àux États-Unis  avant la Deuxième Guerre mondiale. Nous étions très amateurs de jeux de société, et pour toutes nos vacances, l'oncle (qui faisait partie d'un club de jeux) apporterait plein de jeux dans sa voiture plein des jeux, certains qui n'étaient pas encore sortis aux États-Unis pourtant et étaient complètement en allemand.. Jusqu'à aujourd'hui, "Settlers of Catan" s'appelle "Siedlers" et il y a "Stadts" et " Entwicklungs" au lieu des villes et des cartes de développement. Donc même si je n'ai pas vraiment essayé d'étudier l'allemand sérieusement, j'ai été assez exposée à cette langue pour que ça ne me soit pas complètement étranger.

Je n'ai aucune base semblable en le danois. C'est sur ma liste de choses à apprendre parce que l'entreprise  laquelle je travaille pour a un client au Danemark.

Alors, après mon premier jour à apprendre l'allemand et le danois, j'ai conclu : l'allemand a cette réputation d'être dur et guttural, mais il n'y a rien sur le danois. Il y a quelque chose sur le danois parlé qui me donne envie de m'enfuir. Ma conclusion est que, alors que c'est assez semblable à sonne un peu pareille que l'allemand, ça n'est pas l'allemand, et mon cerveau ne sait pas comment faire.

Mais quelque chose comme une impression auditive bizarre ne m'arrêtera pas. J'espère.

J'essaye toujours d'établir le programme optimal. C'est très difficile avec plusieurs langues. Quand j'apprenais seulement le français, c'était facile - chaque moment d'apprentissage des langues était réservé au / utilisé pour le français. Maintenant... Devrais-je complètement séparer l'allemand et le danois pendant des jours distincts, ou est-ce que c'est bien de permuter les deux au cours d'une journée? Quand ferai-je des revisions pour le  français? Je n'ai pas encore de bonnes réponses.


No comments:

Post a Comment