Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Current Plans for Language Learning

This was going to be part of a longer post, but as I was translating that post into French, I realized that 934 words is bloody long for a blog post, and it would be longer if I added the French bit to it, and I wasn't sure how appealing it would be to have to scroll down past the French bit to get to the "what the hell I am doing" bit. So, while that post is getting reviewed over at Lang-8, I'm putting my current to-do list here. Since I'm just starting German and Danish, you're probably going to want to have a gander at my current plans below if for some reason you are also looking to get into either of those two languages. I don't think I'll be translating this post into French, unless someone really, really wants me to. I don't think my posts on German or Danish resources is going to be particularly useful for a French speaker, but hey, if that's not the case, feel free to leave a comment.

Current German Plan

Duolingo Finish the German course by July 2015. Maybe sooner. I am definitely going to try to do this one much faster than I did the French one, which took me around 340 days to go through. That is one regret I have about French, is treating the Duolingo part as more of a side activity for a good half of the year. So I'm going to try to finish the German course in the first six months and see if it makes it a difference.

Memrise  Duolingo may excel at sentence structure, but in terms of raw vocabulary building, Memrise is much better. I'm still not settled on how many words I should aim for in a week.
       Conversational German - 324 items. Since I and a friend are studying German together, hopefully this will put us on the road to having real conversations beyond the "I eat bread" vocabulary that Duolingo provides.
       Allemand Débutant & Intermédiaire - 2703 items. This is a course for French speakers learning German. I've read about the benefits of learning your third language via your second, so I'm giving it a go. I feel that this will also help me with remembering concepts of words rather than just translating everything into English. Plus, it should also help me maintain my French.

Headstart2: German I like Headstart2. It has several major problems but I think they're worth working around.
       Problem 1: You can only ever log into your account from one computer, as the data is saved locally.
       Problem 2: You have to use the onscreen keyboard. You can't use your real keyboard, or the answers will be marked as incorrect. This makes lessons take so much longer than they would be otherwise.
      These problems aside, Headstart2 is incredible. Really, really, excellent. So far. I've only finished Task 3. But I really like the variety of activities, the audio is all really good, the instructions and purpose of each lesson is clear, and the trivia that gets woven into each lesson really helps give you background information on Germany.

Current Danish Plan

Duolingo Since I'm not putting nearly the emphasis on Danish that I'm putting on German, I'm aiming to finish this in a year, rather than six months.

Memrise: Conversational Danish If, for some reason, I find myself with a cause to speak Danish, it will be because I run into it at work. Therefore, being able to say some basic words in conversation would be a good start.

Speaking generally, there's a lot less out there for learning Danish than German. I don't have much of a plan beyond these two things for Danish for the time being.

Current French Plan

Generally speaking, I want to finish the following Memrise courses:
DLI French Medical Language Guide - 623 items
Fantasy & Gaming Vocabulary - 374 items
Intermediate French- 1430 items
Advanced French- 985 items

I also want to see how fast I can finish the Lingvist course. I am disappointed that they don't have the German beta out yet, as I really would like to see how good Lingvist is for learning a completely new language. It works really well at my level though, allowing me to test my current knowledge and how what I know fits into different sentences and words.

I'm going to keep watching French movies and reading French articles and really trying to focus on improving my audio comprehension. I would also like to finish translating Le Luth Brisê, a book I picked up at a book sale.

It's going to be a busy year.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've got some work ahead of you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete